Thursday, November 5, 2009

Marrying left your maiden name disused

My response for this month didn't actually get to the production stage, but this theme has been my favorite so far. It has really got me thinking about maiden names - to change or not to change!!

My idea is a locket (surprise) that has a little domed gold piece inside that could come out, perhaps with some text on it or some symbols that symbolize a previous maiden name.

My idea is that even though maiden names may become disused, it doesn't make them any less precious, or important. A previous name is still a special thing that symbolises past experiences and memories and it is the name that has gotten you to a certain point in your life. I wanted to explore the idea that maiden names are still important and something to be treasured, and disused doesn't have to mean insignificant and forgettable.

I am disappointed that I didn't get around to making my piece this month, I have been very busy finishing off another big project which I will be sharing soon!