Sunday, February 1, 2009

Getting my hands dirty

I've been thinking about gardening all evening, and I've realised that a large part of what I enjoy about it is really getting my hands (well, actually, all of me) dirty in the process. It makes me feel like I'm really doing something, really getting involved.

Lately I've been in a bit of a writing slump (I'm hesitant to say "writers' block"... that phrase scares me a little). I've been writing, but I haven't been happy with any of it. It's not terrible, I'm just not excited about it.

This afternoon I went to a writers' meeting and was talking to another writer (and friend of mine) there about it. Through our conversation I realised that the other things I do creatively have a huge effect on the quality of my writing.

So my plan is to get my hands dirty more often. Sometimes it might be in the garden, sometimes it might be splashing colour (probably poorly) on a canvas. I might even attempt to do some sewing again. And I'll keep my dirty fingers crossed that my writing will improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment